Sunday 30 March 2008

Landing at New Delhi Airport...

Now that I have landed in Delhi many times, I thought of sharing my experience and write this post.

Even if one is blindfolded he/she can make out that they have arrived at New Delhi airport by the smells. One can smell and tell that the flight is about to land in Delhi. It is a good 'fragrance', a mixture of dust and smoke. This smell creeps a little into the the plane's cabin when the plane is hovering over Delhi, just before the landing. It is a wonderful feeling to be choked. I feel so nostalgic.

For me who is allergic to dust and smoke, I know I have arrived in Delhi as I start sneezing. It takes couple of days for my immune system to adjust to Delhi air.

As soon as one gets down at IGI (New Delhi Airport) airport there is a strong smell of Phenyl and the white tiles and mosaic floors reminds of 1980s. By this time having experienced so many 'fragrances' my nose gives up and I can barely breathe.

Then comes the immigration queues with broken wooden tables, and paan eating babus waiting to stamp your PASSPORT and ask weird questions. Just as one thinks it is all over and now I will meet my loved ones. One has to collect the luggage, with people literally resting their heads on your shoulder to look at the conveyor belt.

By now you would love to run outside, cry, scream, etc; but wait there is more. While getting out of the airport one has to tell so many people that they have their own arrangements to go back home or to the hotel. People of Saddi Dilli (New Delhi) are so courteous to the guests.

I am talking about millions and zillions of taxi drivers and touts waiting outside. With only one intention, of fleecing you of all the monies you have.

Well, whatever it is; It is my home and I love being in Delhi. The dust, the smoke, the traffic, the swearing and shouting while driving, the food, the mess, the chaos, the heat - I love it ALL. Dilli is Dilli And, I love Dilli.

No comments: